- FAQs about Cosmetic Dentistry
- Why should I see a cosmetic dentist?
- How long will each cosmetic treatment take?
- Will my insurance cover cosmetic dental care?
- Am I a good candidate for teeth whitening?
- Are there any side effects with teeth whitening?
FAQs about Cosmetic Dentistry
What is cosmetic dentistry, and how is it different from general dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry combines both art and science to give you a healthy, aesthetic, and flawless smile. While general dentistry is aimed at maintaining the health of your teeth and gums, cosmetic dentistry provides comprehensive treatment options that improve and preserve the way your smile looks and feels.
Common cosmetic treatments include:
- Teeth whitening
- Contouring/tooth reshaping
- Dental implants
- Tooth-colored fillings
- Smile makeovers
Why should I see a cosmetic dentist?
A cosmetic dentist is trained to provide a variety of treatments safely and effectively that are designed to enhance your smile. If you are missing teeth, feel that your teeth are crooked, or you’re an adult looking for an alternative to braces, a cosmetic dentist can help you achieve the beautiful smile you’ve always wanted.
How long will each cosmetic treatment take?
Just as every smile we treat is unique, so are the treatments we provide. While cosmetic treatment times may vary, some treatments are completed within one office visit.
Will my insurance cover cosmetic dental care?
Insurance coverage and out-of-pocket expenses for cosmetic treatment vary. Our practice will work with you to provide several different treatment options, and we will coordinate with your insurance provider, if coverage is available. You will know all your treatment costs up front so you can choose the best payment plan for your needs and your budget.
Am I a good candidate for teeth whitening?
Patients who experience the most benefit from having their teeth whitened:
- Are in good dental health
- Maintain good dental health (i.e., brush three times a day, floss, receive regular dental checkups every six months, etc.)
- May suffer from slightly discolored, or yellow, teeth
- Wish to improve the look of their smile for aesthetic purposes
- Are in good physical health
Are there any side effects with teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a safe, effective procedure, and does not typically include any negative side effects. Minor side effects may consist of:
- Increased tooth sensitivity to hot or cold
- White spots on the surface of the teeth (a potential side effect of at-home whitening systems)
- Additional gum sensitivity or irritation from the use of nighttime whitening trays